Disclaimer

Everything posted here is stricktly the opinion of the poster and shall not be taken to be the official position of UNMIS, UNMISS, UN, the Norwegian Armed Forces or any other organisation whatsoever.

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Sometimes good things happen

Our Team Site is scheduled to loose half of the UNMOs over the next two months, which would severely impact our ability to operate. Not only will we loose many man-years of experience, but we would also be stretched very thin trying to cope with all the patrols and other tasks we've to do.

Realizing this, and also realizing that in the UN nothing changes for the better unless you point and yell, I sat down this morning and wrote a mail to Sector; pointing out the issue at hand (the severe reduction in the number of UNMOs), the anticipated fall-out (more work per UNMO, less leave, less time to prepare for patrols and report afterwards) and also two suggestions for solution (send us UNMOs who are finishing training in Khartoum, or move UNMOs from another Team Site to Yei). No complaining, no whining, no finger pointing... just the facts.

Mail goes to Juba, who forwards it to Khartoum.

Just before the afternoon brief we get a phone call; a New UNMO from Nepal who found himself ordered to Yei! With a bit of luck he'll arrive next week... if I can get two more, most of the troubles with the Leave Plan will be gone, and I know our Operations Officer will be overjoyed too.

1 comment:

  1. I would be very happy to join you in Yei. I'm looking forward to joining the UNMIS in September this year. As far as I've been reading your blog for some time now, it looks like a nice place to serve. I would like to get in contact with you. Feel that I need a contact on the ground for my preparation. My email is tlillehovde (at) gmail dot com . Best regards Tom Arne (møter til initialperiode nå i mai og er klar i september)

    ReplyDelete