Disclaimer

Everything posted here is stricktly the opinion of the poster and shall not be taken to be the official position of UNMIS, UNMISS, UN, the Norwegian Armed Forces or any other organisation whatsoever.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

All things must come to an end, including my leave

Tonight, a little before 0300, a taxi should arrive outside my door to take me to the bus stop down town so I can get on the 0313 bus to the airport. While not an ideal time to travel, it sure beats last what I did last time I went back down after leave: spend the night in the airport. Overpriced coffee and barely padded chairs is not my idea of a good start on a long journey...

As I'm typing my bags are packed, my uniform hung out, the Norwegian money is taken out of my wallet and replaced with a thick wad of Sudanese pounds, and my portable hard disk is in the process of being filled up with new films and TV shows to augment the heap already on my laptop in Yei. The official word on weither or not I'll have to move from Yei to Juba is "don't know" - the UN don't always work fast...

I'll miss my wife and family when I've left - going back to Sudan after being home for a while don't get any easier even if I've done it a few times now. It don't help any that our cat has turned up his charm to 11... it may be that he fears the competition from little Miss AC.
Well, maybe all the way to 12...
So in the end, I got to spend some quality time with my loved ones and got a lot of stuff done too - and I'm over half way done with my year in Africa. And that is not a bad thought to end this leave with, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment